What You Need to Know About A Sponsor

If you want to get a green card in the US, you are going to need a sponsor; more specifically, a financial sponsor.

The USCIS requires someone to financially sponsor anyone who gets a green card through a family member. So if you are applying for a green card and your connection to the US is your brother, sister, mother, father, child or spouse, you will need a financial sponsor.

Why do you need a financial sponsor?

If you ever require public support or benefits while you have your green card the financial sponsor takes on the responsibility to repay those benefits. This responsibility ends for your sponsor when you gain citizenship, work in the US for 10 years or leave the US permanently.
You may wonder what is needed for someone to be a sponsor?

There are four requirements:

  • You must be a US citizen
  • You must be at least 18 years old
  • You must be living in the US
  • You must have annual income over the federal poverty level of about $20,000.
If the person who wants to sponsor you makes less than $20,000 each year you can use additional joint sponsors to meet this requirement.
1 Like

My brother will be my financial sponsor and submit the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act. Is the Affidavit of Support the only form that he will need to file? Also, When my brother files the Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213A of the Act and has only paid US taxes once in the past 3 years, is this ok? Are there any new forms required?