What is the Approval Process Like?

Are you curious how your application gets approved? There’s a basic process that all applications follow:

1. Initial Processing – After you send in your application, it will first be checked to make sure it has been completed correctly. If the Form is missing information or you haven’t demonstrated that you’re eligible, the Form may be declined at this stage.
  2. More Information, Biometrics, Interview – If your Form passes the first stage, the government may request additional evidence, request original documents of the evidence you provided, or schedule an interview. Some applicants may have to go to a USCIS to answer any questions about the application. You will provide biometrics information (i.e. photographs and fingerprints) to verify your identity at an interview or other scheduled meeting.
  3. Decision – No matter whether your application is approved, you will receive notification in writing of the decision.
2 Likes

@Admin - I submitted my Form I-485 six months ago and I still have yet to receive a notification, in writing or otherwise, alerting me to any sort of approval decision. How accurate are these steps? Are there different approval times depending on the form that was submitted and which USCIS field office the paperwork was sent to?

Thank you for your consideration…

1 Like

@Admin - I can help here. @glenn_l_angelo it sounds like you are doing an adjustment of status via the Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status the USCIS offers a few guidelines on the adjustment of status processes and procedures. Here are some of the bullets:

1. Determine Your Basis to Immigrate - Done

2. File the Immigrant Petition - Done

3. Check Visa Availability - Done

4. File Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residency or Adjust Status - Done

5. Go to your Application Support Center appointment (fingerprints)

6. Go to your interview (if applicable)

7. Get you final decision (GREEN CARD!!!) in the mail

Sounds like you just have steps 5, 6, and 7 to go. I wouldn’t worry too much.

For more information check here:

http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/adjustment-status