What is the Alien Registration Number?

What is the Alien registration number? (A number)
What is it for? And where do I find it?

Hi Lauren, great question!

What is an A-Number?

An A-number, or alien registration number, is the number assigned to each “alien” immigrating to the United States by the Department of Homeland Security.

What is an “Alien”?

USCIS defines an “alien” as “any person who is not a citizen or national of the United States.”

When do I get an A-Number?

You will receive an A-number when you are immigrating to the United States but not becoming a citizen or national.

Why do I need an A-Number?

As you are immigrating to the United States, you will need to be registered with the United States government. As you apply for visas and fill out forms, the A-number acts as an identifying tag. This tag is used to verify your identity on applications or petitions that you file.

What does an A-Number look like?

An A-number stars with an “A” and is followed by 8 or 9 digits.

Example of an 8-digit number:

• A43 625 789

Example of a 9-digit number:

• A 300 432 9762

Example of a 9-digit number:

• A 300 432 9762

What does an A-Number Mean?

Having an A-number means that you are registered with the United States government as a non-citizen.

Where can I find my A-Number?

You can find your A-number:

• On the front of your immigrant visa.
  • On the top right corner of your Immigrant Fee handout.
  • On your visa stamp (also known as a visa foil) in your passport.
  • Your A-number will be called the “Registration Number” on the visa stamp. If the number is fewer than 9 digits, put a 0 after the “A” but before the numbers.
    Example: A12345678 becomes A012345678
  • On the front side of your Permanent Resident Card (Also called Alien Registration Card or Green Card).
  • On any letter or notice you have received from the Department of Homeland Security.
  • If you are still unsure where your A-number is you can schedule an InfoPass appointment with USCIS. At the appointment an immigration services officer can provide you with your A-number.

Can I look up my A-Number Online?

No. Your A number should be on physical copies of most documents you receive from USCIS.

If you do not have a copy of one of the documents, contact the U.S. Embassy or Consulate that issued your request.

What is an A-File?

An A-file is the official file for all immigration and naturalization records.

Each file is identified by an individual’s A-number. This allows the government to easily search for any records they have concerning an individual’s immigration or naturalization case.

How long does an A-Number Last?

Because your A-number is used to identify your A-file your A-number does not expire. A-files are archived for government records.

However, you may have been issued more than one A-number. If this is true, you may need to include only the most recent or all of the A-numbers when filing your forms.