What is I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence?

What is Form I-485 Used For?

Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status, is used to either register for permanent legal residence in the United States or adjust to permanent resident status. Adjusting to permanent resident status simply means obtaining a green card (i.e. permanent legal residency) without having to return to your home country if you’re already in the United States.

While Form I-485 is a required step on your path to legal citizenship, it isn’t the only step. In fact, you will need other completed forms and evidence depending upon your unique situation. For example, you will need a completed Form I-130 if you are getting residency through a family member who is already a citizen or lawful permanent resident of the United States.

This Form is filed with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). While your family member is responsible for Form I-130 to establish a familiar connection that enables you to take the next step in the immigration process with Form I-485, you are responsible for the completion and filing of Form I-485.

The Comprehensive Guide on How to Get a Green Card

1 Like

So, if I understand this correctly. I can file the Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status for my husband and also file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative

With both of these forms filed at the same time I will be able to get a green card for my spouse? This is the most efficient and easiest way to get a marriage based green card?

@louise_f_yother The way that I understand this, you will want to file the Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status AND the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative AT THE SAME TIME. I have heard that this can cut down on the process times and result in you getting your green card more quickly than filing them separately and one-by-one.

In the end, it is always best to double check with an attorney.