What is Form I-130 Used For?

Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, is used to establish a relationship between you, a citizen or lawful permanent resident (i.e. green card holder) of the United States, and a relative who wants to immigrate to America. This is the first step in a two-part immigration process for individuals looking to bring relatives into the United States.

You will file the Form with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Unlike many immigration forms, you are responsible for completing and submitting the form rather than your relative him or herself.

If approved, your relative doesn’t automatically become a lawful permanent resident of the United States and aren’t automatically able to live and work in the country.

Instead, the Form’s approval confirms that you have a qualifying familial relationship that your relative can use to apply for permanent residence. Often, this second step is completed at a United States consulate in your relative’s country or through a separate process, should your relative already be in the United States.

1 Like

If I want my husband to get a marriage based green card will I need to file the Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative and the Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status?

I am also wondering if we need to have someone else complete the I-864 Affidavit of Support and Financial Sponsor for Green Card?

Thank you!

Here’s a great video that breaks down the I-130 process step by step: