Immigration Forum

What happens after filing Form I-90

What happens after Filing Form I-90, Application to Replace a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)?

There are several reasons to fill out the Form I-90 and send it to the USCIS, such as renewing or replacing a lost or stolen Green Card. For in-depth articles on the Form I-90, visit this page. For a guide on renewing your green card via Form I-90, click here.

Here is the basic timeline for what happens after you file the Form I-90:

You will receive a receipt for your application
Approximately 1 to 3 weeks after filing

If your application was prepared and filed correctly, the USCIS will send you a letter that contains a receipt for your application typically 1 to 3 weeks after they receive your application.

Save this letter because you will need the number on the receipt to check your status. Click here to check your USCIS status and receive automatic text and email updates if your status changes.

Appointment Notice for Biometrics
Approximately 3 to 5 weeks after filing

3 to 5 weeks after your initial filing, you will receive a letter that assigns your biometrics appointment date, time, and location. Most of the time your appointment will happen at the nearest USCIS office. During the biometrics appointment, you will be fingerprinted for the security clearance and a criminal background check.

Go to your Biometrics Appointment
Approximately 5 to 8 weeks after filing

During your biometrics appointment, the USCIS will check your fingerprints, take your photo, and ask for your signature. The appointments are generally pretty short and are usually around 30 minutes long.

Here are some items you should bring with you to your biometrics appointment:

• Your Passport or Photo Identification issued by your country
  • Your Driver’s License
  • Military Photo Identification (if you have it)
  • State-Issued Photo Identification Card

You Receive Your New Green Card!
Approximately 5 to 6 months after filing

It takes a long time for the USCIS to process your application after your biometrics appointment. Once your application is approved, your new green card will be sent to your address. If for some reason your application was rejected, the USCIS will mail you a notice with an explanation as to why your application was not accepted.

Total Wait Time: 5 to 6 Months
The entire process can take up to 6 months. For some applications, it can be shorter, or longer in some cases. Occasionally the USCIS will request for additional information to help process your application

2 Likes

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you. Been waiting for 4 months now. I-90 process so slow! This is the first time I renewed.

1 Like

How long are the green card renewal times in New York, NY? Are the filing and process times for I-90 form longer in New York for Brazil citizenship?

thanks for the awesome information.