What happens after filing form I-485, adjustment of status?

What happens after you file the form I-485, adjustment of status?
Also known as a Green Card application

Also See:
How much does it cost to file form I-485?
Where to send the form I-485?
What evidence must be provided with the form I-485?
The Comprehensive Guide on How to Get a Green Card

Approx. 2 to 3 weeks after filing
You receive your application receipt from the USCIS

If you prepared and submitted your application correctly, the USCIS will typically respond 2 to 3 weeks later with a letter in the mail. This receipt letter is called the Form I-797C, Notice of Action.

Save this letter! You need the receipt number to check your USCIS status.
Have your receipt? Check your status here.

Approx. 3 to 5 weeks after filing
You receive your appointment notice for biometrics

Typically 3 to 5 weeks after filing, you will receive a notice for your biometrics appointment. This will include your appointment date, time, and location. Most of the time, the location will be the closest USCIS office.
Do not miss your appointment!

Approx. 5 to 8 weeks after filing
Go To Your Biometrics Appointment

During your biometrics appointment, the USCIS will check your fingerprints, take your photo, and ask for your signature. This appointment is usually pretty short and lasts approximately 30 minutes.

Bring these items to your biometrics appointment:

• Your Passport or photo identification issued by your country
  • Your Driver’s License
  • Military Photo Identification (if you have it)
  • State issued Photo Identification Card

Approx. 12 to 16 weeks after filing
You receive your EAD Card (if you filed for it)

If you included the form I-765, application for employment authorization, and form I-131, application for travel, in your application, you will receive an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Also known as a work permit. The EAD and advance parole travel document are both combined into 1 single card:

If you receive this card, it means the USCIS considers you an adjustment of status applicant who may work in the United States and travel outside the United States according to the criteria of advance parole.

Approx. 4 to 10 months after filing
You receive your notice for your USCIS interview

It’s time to prepare for your interview! Don’t worry or be scared, the interview is a normal part of the application process and typically happens at your nearest USCIS office. The USCIS may require your petitioner to attend with you, or they may not. Your interview notice will arrive by mail via the Form I-797, Notice of Action.
Do not miss your interview!

Approx. 6 to 12 months after filing
Go to your USCIS interview!

Adjustment of status interviews usually take around 30 minutes at your nearest USCIS office. It’s a good idea to properly prepare, make sure to bring the following items:

• A complete copy of your entire application.
  • Originals of any documents that you sent along with your application.
  • Advance parole document and/or employment authorization card (if you have one)
  • Your passport

Approx. 8 to 14 months after filing
You receive your Green Card!

If your application and interview are approved, you will receive your Green Card in the mail approximately 8 to 14 months after you initially filed. If your application is rejected, the USCIS will mail you a notice explaining the reasons for the denial.

Once you have received your green card, you no longer need your EAD card. Legal Permanent Residents have the right to travel inside and outside the United States. A Green Card is also proof that you have the right to work in the United States.

I had my interview at 1pm yesterday at the Portland, OR field office. We arrived there pretty early around 11:45 due to bad traffic we didn’t want to be late. We went into the building around 12:25 passed through security, then turned in our interview notice to the people at the front desk, and we waited for our name to be called. They called us to the back around 1:20. They guy who interviewed us was nice he let us know at the beginning of the interview that he would try to be as fast as possible. He asked us standard questions such as date of birth, how my husband and I met, if we’ve ever been arrested, our address, when we got married, why we waited so long to file for adjustment since we married in 2012 and how long we dated before getting married. He asked for the updated medical papers, our joint documents, our ID’s, my husband’s passport and photos of our family. He left the room for about 10 minutes and he spent majority of the time on his computer I’m assuming he was submitting information. At end of our interview he told us that he approved our I-130 and for our I-485 we would have to wait to be approved by his supervisor and the supervisor wouldn’t be back to the office until Wednesday. He said we should have a response from them in 30 days. We got out of our interview at 2.

This has been our timeline so far:
• Priority Date: May 6, 2016 (forms I-485, I-765, & I-130)
• Email Notice Date: May 13, 2016
• Cases transferred to NBC: May 13, 2016
• Received Notification Letters: May 19, 2016
• Received Notice of Biometrics Appointment: May 27, 2016
• Biometrics Appointment: June 6, 2016
• Case (I-485) is ready to be scheduled for an interview: June 27, 2016
• Received EAD: August 11, 2016
• Received email notification and letters in the mail about the interview: April 19,2017
• Interview: May 22, 2017

Nicely done, Congrats!!!

Congrats on having such a smooth adjustment of status procedure. I wanted to know how much you paid for the “Adjustment of Status package” I am contemplating in using a lawyer or doing it myself??

Thanks

I paid $249 for the package and then an add on of $99 for the immigration lawyer review.
Everything went great and my application and interview were approved!
Simple citizen was way cheaper than any good lawyer I could find.

Hi @Star-Girl422,

Congrats on your process. When did you submit your medical exam?