What documents are a MUST when applying



I’m filling up the application for a Green Card. I am married to an American citizen and I have a child. I started filling up the application by myself and then I found out about Simple Citizen and decided that it may be better to do it this way; with the support of experienced people.

When I was doing it by myself I didn’t find too many documents being requested, here in the website when I got to the documents part, they are just too many, and I would like to know which ones I MUST have. Because I had been living abroad, we realy don’t have some of those documents, we have some but not all.

To brief it, I would like to know what documents are a MUST, for:

-Sponsor (Who is my father in law and he has provided me with his last 3 years of taxes forms).

  • My wife (Since we just move out to the United States there are some documents that we don’t have, so which one sare necessary? Joint ownership, Medical, I also read that Child’s birth \certificate could apply).

Thank you in advance for your answers.



Hello @jmanuel_gtez jmanuel_gtez,

There are a few documents that are called out as required for submitting an application for change of status to legal permanent resident (LPR) or green card. These documents are sited on the instructions to the form(s) I-130, I-864 and I-485. SimpleCitizen also provides articles detailing these requirements in our Learning Center for the I-130 and the I-485.

For the beneficiary (the person filing the I-485 for legal permanent residency):

  1. Criminal history and Police clearances
  2. Birth Certificate
  3. Passport
  4. Passport style photos
  5. Biometrics services
  6. Medical Examination
  7. Form G-325A, Biographical Information sheet
  8. Affidavit of Support/Employment Letter

USCIS Instructions to Form I-485
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-485instr.pdf - Page 3, 4, 5

For the Petitioner (the US Citizen filing the I-130):

  1. Document showing that you are a US Citizen.
    “If you were born in the United States, a copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority.”

  2. Documents showing the Petitioner’s relationship with the beneficiary (Person trying to obtain legal permanent residency)

"If submitting an I-130 for a spouse, submit the following documentation:

a. a copy of your marriage certificate.

b. If either you or your spouse were previously married, submit copies of documents showing that all prior marriages were legally terminated.

c. A passport-style color photo of yourself and a passport-style color photo of your spouse.

d. Any other relevant documentation to establish that there is an ongoing marital union, for example: documents showing joint ownership or property; or a lease showing joint tenancy of a common residence; or documentation showing co-mingling of financial resources (bank statements); or birth certificate(s) of child(ren) born to you, the petitioner, and your spouse together; or affidavits sworn to or affirmed by third parties having personal knowledge of the bona fides of the marital relationship.

IF you have a child:

a. Submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate showing your name and the name of your child."

USCIS Instructions to Form I-130
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-130instr.pdf - Pages 2, 3

For the Financial Sponsor:

“A copy of your individual Federal income tax return, including W-2s for the most recent tax year, or a statement and/or evidence describing why you were not required to file. Also include a copy of each and every Form 1099, Schedule, and any other evidence of reported income. You may submit this information for the most recent three tax years, pay stubs from the most recent six months, and/or a letter from your employer if you believe any of these items will help you qualify.”

USCIS Instructions to Form I-864
http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf - Page 16

NOTE: There are other documents that may be required based on your status. SimpleCitizen is a Do-It-Yourself tool and is not a substitute for an attorney. If you have further questions please seek out help from a licensed immigration attorney.



@jmanuel_gtez Hello!

SimpleCitizen is a great for completing all of the paperwork for the green card application. I was lucky and had all of the documents that they were asking for when I submitted my application.

One thing that is also helpful is that you can get additional questions answered by a referral to an immigration attorney. I emailed [email protected] and was able to set up a free consultation with an attorney based out of San Diego. If I were you I would definitely use this to get my final questions answered.

Best of luck to you Juan!!




This is good. But I would like to see a nice graphic that shows what is needed for submission.




I second that @lambert_b_bruce said, in many forums and pages dedicated to help out with immigration they most of the time say ‘Proof of one or more’.

The bad thing is that it may depend of the person who is going to interview you.

I unfortunately do not and won’t have every document that is require in Simple Citizen, I do have the ones that I find to be the most important ones. The @Admin mentioned something about Medical Examination and Criminal History but those are not mention in the document section. Plus, how can I get a Criminal History document if I am not a resident?

I have a couple of other questions:

I still don’t know where I could submit my son’s birth certificate and/or passport. He is an American Citizen. Anybody has an idea?

And lastly, I am about to pay for the service but there is this optional “Application 2 Year Guidance” that I don’t truly get. Seems to be focus on the green card renewal but it also says that it has an interview preparation; for the renewal or for the first Interview?

Also the $249 doesn’t seem to get you anything but the forms filled up for you, by watching the video I thought there was more support on their part. I may be wrong on this but I would like to clarify it, it may not be very well explain in the “Payment” part.

They may be many questions but I appreciate if someone could shade some light. Thank you.
Juan Gutierrez.


I have a few questions about the supporting documents for a legitimate or bona fide marriage.

  1. Do I need letters of support from friends and family for an adjustment of status for my spouse?

  2. Do I need to attach wedding and honeymoon photos for an adjustment of status for my spouse?

Please let me know what I should be attaching to my application.



@joel_q_staples855 I am not sure if you are talking about the application or the interview. I can only talk about the application, and no, you do not need anything like that.

The only thing that you will need is the marriage certificate (original and translation; if applied).

Once again I have got into the interview part but for the application you should be okay with that.

However, there are some other documents that you will need such as, co-joint bank account, co-ownership (a car perhaps).

You won’t need all of them but you will need a couple.

I just finished my application (for myself) let me know if you have any more question about it. I will be more than happy help you out however I can.



What do I do if my husband served in the Korean military? Do I need to attach a copy of his records from his service? I don’t know if we will be able to get a hold of those records.

Are these documents required when submitting a green card application or adjustment of status application?

What is the procedure for Military Records and Green Cards in the US and Green Card Applications?


I have had a DUI three years ago, crazy stage in life~ don’t ask :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: How many of the court documents do I need to attach for the green card application?


This is all very helpful; but what documents or copies of documents do I need to bring to my interview?
Also, this is my second marriage. Do I need to bring any documents for my divorce?



You need to bring ALL the documents that you submitted. Usually, SImple Citizen will mail you a whole folder with the documents you will send out to your local office, with a few placeholders to replace with those that you may not have provided yet. Before you send them I will recommend to make a copy of this folder. I didn’t think about doing this so I needed to reprint them all from the PDF that they provided.

If you think there are any other documents that will help your case I will bring them too. I brought pictures, a driver’s license ID that I had not provided when I submitted my file and a few extra documents like pay stubs from a job different than the one my wife had when we submitted the file.

I would highly advise to take any relevant documents from your divorce with you, take the originals and make copies of them.

Let me know if you have any questions.


Can’t claim about it for sure, but, alongside with the list of papers mod wrote down recently, application form DS-11 shall be filled as well. I didn’t do so, but a friend of mine did fill, she took it from here: ds11.pdffiller.com/ and paid for it, despite it was possible to download, print and fill manually from the officials. But yet, not so expensive and looks faster alongside


Now Trump has tightened his policy on immigration into the country. This is especially true of the Mexicans, because there are a lot of illegal immigrants among them. They seek political asylum in the United States because they hide from drug dealers. This is confirmed by the fact that many illegal weapons are imported into Mexico from the United States, which is cheaper here and less documents are required for its purchase.