What are the requirements to become a U.S. Citizen?

I am a legal permanent resident and want to apply for citizenship.
My spouse is a U.S. citizen and I am from Canada. What are the requirements for applying for citizenship?

To become a U.S. citizen through naturalization, you normally have to fulfill the following requirements:

• You have to be 18 years old or older,
  • You need to be a green card holder for at least the 5 years leading up to your application for citizenship,
  • During those 5 years, you need to have continuous residence in the United States,
  • Also during those 5 years, you need to have been physically present in the U.S. for at least 30 months,
  • You need to have lived in the same state or USCIS district for at least 3 months leading up to your application,
  • Once you apply, you need to live continuously in the U.S. until the naturalization process is complete,
  • You need to be a person of good moral character and committed to the principles in the U.S. Constitution, and
  • You have to be able to speak, read and write basic English and have a basic understanding of U.S. history and government.

These basic requirements are taken from the USCIS website. However, these requirements may change based on your individual circumstances. You should check out our complete guide to applying for United States citizenship to read more about the requirements and see which ones apply to you.

In some cases, you may be eligible to have some of the requirements waived completely. For example, if you’re over age 50 when you apply for citizenship, and if you’ve lived in the U.S. for at least 20 years, you don’t have to speak English to become a citizen. If you have a medical disability, you may not be required to take the English and civic exams.

Read: 10 Most Common Citizenship Questions.

And, here’s our complete guide on how to apply for United States citizenship.

Children born in the United States give the right to immediately obtain citizenship for their mother?

The child has to be 21 years old before they can petition their parents.