Principle Status Change on TN Visa - H4 Visa Application

I have an H1B Visa and I am in Oregon working as a Canadian citizen. My wife, and three of our children are in the US on H4 visas. My wife is on an H1B too, she is sponsoring our three children. My wife changed to have an TN Visa but my children are still on H4 Visas. They did not make the change to be dependents on the TN Visa.

What should we do?

1 Like

Since your children are dependents on a principal that is not on H1B status, then this will not work. Your children will need to submit new applications for a TN version of the H4 Visa.

“When is a NAFTA Professional (TN) visa required for a Canadian citizen? A Canadian without TN nonimmigrant status, who resides in a third country with a non-Canadian spouse and/or child(ren), and who plans to enter the United States as a NAFTA professional at the same time as the family member(s), will need a TN visa in order for the family members to be eligible to apply for derivative TD nonimmigrant visa(s).”

From the Requirements for Canadian Citizens using the NAFTA Professional Workers TN Visa