Immigration Forum

ID for I-130 package


My husband is a American citizen and we are sending our package to my AOS I-130 and we are sending husbands birth certificate as his ID will this be ok? He did not change his address yet in his driving license and we are thinking that this can be a problem. We live in Virginia now and he is from DC.


If you are living in Virginia, you should file all the paperwork (I-130, I-130A, I-485, etc) at the same time! It makes the process much faster. You are not required to send a driver’s license. Passports are good forms of IDs if you have one.


Hi Matthew ,

He lost his passport so do you think his birth certificate will be ok to send for now? And yes we are sending all forms together in the same package. Thank you so much for your response


You should be good with just his birth certificate. The USCIS has this list of documents to show proof of citizenship:

A copy of your birth certificate, issued by a civil registrar, vital statistics office, or other civil authority showing
that you were born in the United States;
B. A copy of your naturalization certificate or certificate of citizenship issued by USCIS or the former Immigration
and Naturalization Service (INS);
C. A copy of Form FS-240, Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), issued by a U.S. Embassy or U.S. Consulate;
D. A copy of your unexpired U.S. passport; or
E. An original statement from a U.S. consular officer verifying that you are a U.S. citizen with a valid passport


very usefull info… it realy helps every one thank you …