How to fill out the N-400 form

  1. Type or print legibly in black ink.
  2. If you need extra space to complete any item in this application; use and attach a separate sheet of paper; type or print your name and Alien Registration Number (A-Number) (if any) at the top of each sheet; and indicate the Page Number, Part Number, and Item Number to which your answer refers.
  3. Answer all questions fully and accurately. If a question does not apply to you (for example, if you have never been married and the question asks “Provide the name of your current spouse”), type or print “N/A,” unless otherwise directed. If your answer to a question, which requires a numeric response, is zero or none (for example, “How many children do you have” or “How many times have you departed the United States”), type or print “None,” unless otherwise directed.
  4. Avoid highlighting, crossing out, or typing or printing outside the area provided for a response. If you must make substantial corrections to your Form N-400, the USCIS recommends that you start a new form rather than using correction tape or fluid to correct the information. USCIS scanners may see through the white correction tape of fluid. This may lead to incorrect information being captured by the USCIS – which may cause processing delays or a rejection.
  5. Provide your A-Number on the top right corner of each page (if any). Your A-Number is located on your Permanent Resident Card (green card). The A-Number on your card consists of a seven to nine digit number, depending on when your record was created. If the A-Number on your card has fewer than nine digits, place enough zeros before the first number to make a total of nine digits.
  6. Your application must be properly completed, signed, and filed. You must include all pages when you file the Form N-400, even if the pages are blank. A photocopy of the application is acceptable as long as all signatures on the application are handwritten and original. The USCIS will not accept a stamped or typewritten name in place of a signature.
Early Filing

An applicant filing under the general naturalization provision (section 316(a) of the INA) may file his or her application up to 90 days before he or she would first meet the required 5 year period of continuous residence as a lawful permanent resident (LPR). An applicant filing as the spouse of a U.S. citizen under section 319(a) of the INA may file up to 90 days before meeting the required 3 year period of continuous residence as an LPR. Although an applicant may file early according to the 90 day early filing provision, the applicant is not eligible for naturalization until he or she has reached the required 3 or 5 year period of continuous residence as an LPR. Applicants filing up to 90 days before meeting the continuous residence requirement must still meet all other requirements for naturalization at the time of filing Form N-400. For example, an applicant filing under section 319(a) of the INA must meet all other requirements as the spouse of a U.S. citizen at the time of filing.

Learn More about the N-400, Application for Naturalization Here


Has the filing fees for the N-400 gone up too?

1 Like