Green card eligibility

I am 48 and have lived in the u.s. for 10 years. I came here on an H1B work visa. How can I get a green card from u.s. immigration services?

2 Likes

@SopheQuinonezOlivas, To qualify for a U.S. green card, you must meet the UCSIS eligibility requirements. According to the USCIS website, the most common green cards come from your family, your employment, refugee or asylum status. The website also lists several special provisions and self petition, which are much less common.

The best way to get a greencard is to be in the UCSIS first preference or second preference.

For family-based greencards, first preference goes to parents of US citizen, spouses of US citizen, and unmarried, adult (21 years of age or older) sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Second preference A goes to spouses of permanent residents and the unmarried children (under the age of 21)) of permanent residents. Second preference B goes to unmarried sons and daughters (21 years or age or older) of permanent residents.

According to USCIS, third preference goes to married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children. Fifth preference goes to brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens, their spouses and their minor children.

For employment-based greencards, first preference goes to priority workers, including immigrants with extraordinary abilities, accomplished professors and researchers, and some multinational executives and managers. Second preference goes to professionals holding an advanced degree or individuals with exceptional abilities.

Third, forth, and fifth preference goes to skilled and qualified workers, special immigrants including those in religious professions, and employment creation immigrants (investors or entrepreneurs), respectively.

Although most greencard holders gain their legal permanent residency though family-based and employment-based greencards, some individuals are eligible for special greencards. Here is the USCIS website with all these special greencards.

1 Like

@SopheQuinonezOlivas @AmandaAzevedoSouza I have heard that the USCIS, under the direction of the Trump administration, is going to get rid of third preference, fourth preference and fifth preference. Is this true that President Trump will be changing the legal immigration process? What other changes can we expect from this administration?