Can I-130 be changed to I-485? or How to stay in US legally while you have pending I-130?

Few years ago I’ve filed I-130 for my son who is Europe.
We got mail from NVC as well, now we are just waiting for his turn for immigrant visa…

Last week he got non immigrant visa, now he is planning to visit us for holidays. I wanted to know if it he can submit form I-485 (when he comes to USA) or he needs to go back and wait for an answer from NVC?

He wants to stay legally.

Thank you in advance.