Basic TN Visa Question from Canada to USA

I will be working at a company in the USA on a TN Visa. I am a computer engineer. This position offers me the opportunity to advance to a more advanced position at the company. Is this possible with a TN visa. Can I switch jobs and still remain in status with my TN Visa?

Thank you!


You will most likely need to file the Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. Changing a job title or employer while in the US will follow the same procedure as applying for an extension of your TN visa status. You can either send the Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker via mail or request one outside the US at their local consulate.

Remember that you will not be able to continue working at this employer as a TN worker until there is clearance from the USCIS on your new Form I-129, Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker.

I am not an attorney and this is just my opinion

1 Like

You may need to submit an application via the Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application (DS-160). The process is fairly straightforward. Some people come on a B1/B2 visa and then adjust their status to a TN visa. This can be a little more quick and straightforward.